Mind Games 2011 in Albany, New York
April 15 - 17, 2011
Hosted by Mensa of Northeastern New York
Mind Games OverviewPlay the year's newest games, and help bestow the coveted Mensa Select seal to the top 5! Game manufacturers use direct feedback from Mind Games participants to improve current and future games.
How Mind Games Works:
Mind Games, an annual favorite of game-loving Mensans everywhere, is essentially a 41-hour, Friday-to-Sunday, game-judging marathon, during which the year's five best new games are chosen and awarded the coveted Mensa Select seal. Mensan attendees are official "judges," and are expected to play 30 randomly assigned games (in the form of a "playlist") and then submit a ballot indicating their top choices. Registration is limited to Mensans and their guests of all ages. Non-member guest registrations may be limited if capacity is exceeded, and guests may not participate in actual judging. (If you are not yet a member, join us now and you can become an official game judge: Find out how! (As of Feb. 11, Registrations have reached the official limit of 250 and only Mensans may continue to register for Mind Games 2011. A waiting list for guests wishing to participate has been started, although guests may, of course, attend without participating - please see the Local Tours and Attractions section below.)
Game manufacturers pay a fee and submit a number of free game copies in exchange for a chance to win the Mensa Select seal, and also for the feedback from comment cards. All attendees (Mensan and non-Mensan) are expected to give the games they play a fair assessment, and to submit honest and constructive comments via the comment cards. Game copies played during the event are distributed to registered Mensans in a randomly determined order after the winning games have been announced Sunday morning.
Mind Games is open to people of all ages, but parents should consider their children's individual maturity level and interest in gaming before making the decision to attend. Attendees are expected to play the games assigned to them and fill out thoughtful comment cards for each game. If your children attend, you'll want to review the games they are playing to make sure the content and difficulty level match their maturity levels.
Registration and Accomodations
|Register for Mind Games 2011 online here!|| |
At Official Capacity,
Guest Waiting List started
(as of Feb 15)
Registration: $65 through 12/31/10 ($75 thereafter) includes:
* Around-the-clock game playing and judging!
* Playing a minimum of about 30 different games at least once between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning (completing a comment card for each)
* 24-hour Hospitality featuring traditional and healthy snacks as well as a wide variety of non-alcoholic beverages
* $40 in meal vouchers for use at the hotel's restaurant.
* As of Feb. 11, Registrations have reached the official limit of 250 and only Mensans may continue to register for Mind Games 2011. A waiting list for guests wishing to participate has been started, although guests may, of course, attend without participating - please see the Local Tours and Attractions section below.
| Mind Games will be held at the Best Western Sovereign Hotel at 1228 Western Ave, Albany NY 12203.|
* $75 per night
* Free air/rail/bus shuttle
* Free parking
* Free hot breakfast
* Click here for reservations or call (518) 489-2981 or 888-963-ROOM (7666)
* Rate code: "Mensa Mind Games" (Note that you have to click on Group Reservations at the top the of the Reservations page to get to the code screen.)
Stay In Touch
| Register for Mind Games 2011 online here!
Join Mind Games 2011 on Facebook! If the link doesn't work, Join the Facebook Event by searching for "Mind Games 2011" !
Join the email list by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
January 6, 2011 Pre-Mommy Letter
Local Tours and Attractions
The official start of game playing is 4pm on Friday. For those arriving early:
* Thursday night "foreplay" open gaming featuring old favorites and light hospitality.
* Fluffing at 10am on Friday (fluffing = preparing games for play). "Head-start" playing may begin after fluffing is complete!
Local Attractions and planned excursions:
* Blue Man Group is performing at the historic Proctor's Theater in nearby Schenectady all week
* Tour of the Albany NanoTech Complex (tentatively on Thursday afternoon)
* If enough (15 +) folks are interested, we will offer a professionally guided,historic tour of Albany for approximately $25 per person, on either Thursday or Sunday afternoon
* Possible tour of the Albany Institute of History and Art.
* More to come!
Hosted by Mensa of Northeastern New York: www.nymensa.org/ John Hornberger, Committee Chair: